One side effect of this pandemic is that I’m moving out of my apartment of three years, and back in with my parents. There are a lot of reasons why this is the right move, but it’s still incredibly bittersweet to say goodbye to the place I’ve called home for a significant part of my (admittedly short thus far) adult life.
Inspired by Nora Ephron, Leandra Medine, and other famous list-makers, I thought I’d make my own list of things I will and will not miss about my apartment.
What I Won’t Miss:
- Having to bang a million times on the washing machine and dryer to get them to accept my payment
- Paying an exorbitant amount of rent for a single bedroom
- Awkward encounters with my roommates
- Sitting in my bedroom, waiting for them to leave the living room so I could grab something from the kitchen
- The sliding glass door in my room that constantly made me think I was going to get murdered
- Feeling incredibly lonely living in the suburbs
What I Will Miss:
- The sliding glass door in my room that made it easy to accept pizza deliveries
- Having a space of my own, where I picked out every piece of furniture or decoration
- Seeing my plants and stacks of books at the end of a long day
- Feeling proud and independent when I paid my rent each month
- Eating my favorite Greek food in bed while watching TV
- My very chatty, but very kind, neighbor Monty